8.24.2007

SCORE!!!

I have been picking up the mail everyday lately, until our new labor foreman arrives to take over the duties. As with many of my collateral duties I just use it as an excuse to escape my desk on a daily basis to head down to the Post Office and chat with the soldiers who run the facility. We have another site that has not been collecting their mail and packages the way they should be and needless to say, have amassed quite a few packages over the weeks. During one of my previously mentioned conversations; one of the mail clerks told me that no one had contacted the Post Office about all the excess mail taking up valuable shelf real estate. I informed him that some of their packages had even shown up on my mail shelf. After examining the parcels he turned and educated me on a not very commonly known Postal rule regarding “abandoned mail”. If a package is left in the care of the Post Office without contacting them with a forwarding address or some other similar arrangement to recover the package for more than 30 days the Post Office will simply give the packages away; if it cannot be returned to the original sender. The packing slips on the boxes stated the contents to be food so; the clerk asked if I wanted to take the boxes so they could make extra room in the store room. Thinking Santa had come early this year I was more then happy to help out. When I got back to my office I found a few boxes of cereal, pasta roni, instant latte mix, caramel and chocolate coffee flavoring and a few packages of tuna. But the best surprise of all was in the third box. A brand new 4 gig ipod nano, to include accessories and 2 carrying cases. Also a stack of blank DVD's and a really nice leather bound journal. Not a bad haul for a few days of chatting with some really kick ass people down at the Post Office. I guess this makes up for any postal problems I’ve had in the past.

2 comments:

babyG said...

Nice !

Barbara said...

Dang dude...You must of done something good in a previous life:) haha...

Good talking with you today...dang i miss you!